
So, I'm currently reading this book called Radical. It's by David Platt, who is a pastor here in Birmingham. I think that you really need to purchase and dig through this book. Here's the deal though...you can't just read this one. I read books at a pretty quick rate, but I've been on this book a month and am on Chapter 6. You have to take it in small bits, think about it, wrestle with it, and do something about it. This book is challenging, and it causes you to ask difficult questions. It's the honest, blatant, biblical truth. Don't worry, I'm not a David Platt groupie or saying that his word is law, but I am saying that the Lord uses him to powerfully speak the truth and if you read with an open heart and the desire to grow it causes you to evaluate your own walk with the Lord.
There's one thing about this book that kind of blows my mind...the title of it is Radical. It's all about being quote "radical." So you read the book, think about the scripture, compare it to your life, ask questions, and apply it. No big...but let me be honest by saying a lot of this stuff stepped on my toes because it called me out on a lot of things in my life that are very selfish, and not God gloryfying. And that is the part that got me. We have heard these verses our entire lives, yet find so many ways to forget about, overlook, or justify them so they mean something comfortable and effortless to us. I wonder how we managed to get so wrapped up in our culture and comfy little lives and so far away from the truth that when the truth is actually spoken it stings and is considered to be radical. This "radical" should actually be our day to day norm. I don't want to be preachy, but I really encourage you to read this book--it's an excellent tool as you seek to grow in your relationship with God.

No comments:
Post a Comment