Hosanna, Hosanna. Hosanna in the highest!
I just walked in the door from a BSU conference. I went into the conference with a bad attitude, not wanting to go. I even considered using my cold as an excuse to stay home. We even got there and the speaker's name was Mike Kelley...SERIOUS distraction. So we're at this conference and the worship is awesome. I mean really awesome. Clearly God is working. I love just sitting and watching people worship God, but that's another story. So I decide I'll have a good attitude and I begin to pray for God to work in my own life.
We sang the song Hosanna.
That song has been near to my heart since the summer between my junior and senior years of high school. My grandpa died that summer, and I found great comfort being able to shout Hosanna when at the same time in Heaven I knew the angels too shouted Hosanna and proclaimed the name of Jesus. When I sing that song all those emotions, and a great sense of peace always flood my heart. I was thinking of that peace this morning as I sang and just really dwelling on the thought of so many voices joining together to worship God and the peace and other feelings that well up inside me in that moment. Then we got to the bridge:
Heal my heart and make it clean/Open up my eyes to the things unseen/Show me how to love like you have loved me/Break my heart from what breaks yours/Everything I am for your kingdoms cause/ As I go from nothing into eternity
...then another thought hit me: to some people that word means nothing.
Hosanna:
–interjection
1.
(an exclamation, originally an appeal to god for deliverance, used in praise of God or Christ.)
–noun
2.
a cry of “hosanna.”
3.
a shout of praise or adoration; an acclamation.
–verb (used with object)
4.
to praise, applaud, etc.: The critics hosannaed his new play.
Use hosanna in a Sentence
See images of hosanna
Search hosanna on the Web
Origin:
< LL ( h ) ōsanna < Gk ōsanná < Heb hōsh ( i ) ʿāh nnā save, we pray; r. ME, OE osanna < LL, as above
Talk about a broken heart...can you imagine hearing that word and it meaning nothing more to you than "hello" or "taco" or "car"? Wow. That word is a proclamation to my God, rejoicing over my salvation and delighting in Him...all encompassed in one word. And some people don't know that word, just as they don't know my God.
Serious reality check.
I felt so selfish in that moment. Yes, it's good for me to join together in worship with others, but our worship was incomplete today. Only a portion of the body, of the Church was able to sing because only a portion knows, and therefore only a portion is able to proclaim and rejoice. What a reminder, and wake up call that we need to make it our number one goal to tell.
When I sing, shout, wail that word peace and joy fill my heart, and it's my job to let that overflow for others to see. --how is it that we so easily forget this? It should be natural.
I hope you think about the words to that song, and I hope you realize how powerful our God is and feel the greatness of His glory and the weight of His grace we receive as salvation. You'd better believe it's something I'm thinking about, and acting on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment