Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Learning Love

Lately love has been in the air with new romances, engagements and the marriage of one of my oldest and dearest friends.

Obviously, all of these things have me thinking about all the intricacies of love: both appearance and meaning. Now I'm not necessarily talking about the sunset, prince on a stallion kind of love, although that is quite lovely, but also love of friends and family and our God. I've been thinking about all the fluff that this culture tells us that love encompasses and comparing it to what scripture says of love. Naturally, many questions on love have surfaced such as what does it mean to be loved? what does it look like? how do i prepare myself for it? how do i love? and these questions apply to all areas mentioned above: friendship, family, romance, God.

Now don't hear me being dreamy and desperately pining for romance because that is not my goal here. I assume you are mature enough to handle these thoughts on love without judging me or pinning me as a hopeless romantic with my head in the clouds going for a "ring by spring". This is just me working on myself, learning and sharing my findings. I anticipate more entries than just this, but we'll see if I'm as consistent as I intend to be...

The obvious starting point and entire basis for this conversation is Jesus Christ. He himself is the very heart of sacrificial, undeserved love that God has for us. It is by the grace of God that we are saved and even alive and breathing. In response to that, how could we not live every second for Him? How could we not be every moment in total amazement of God's holiness and power? We overlook this fact with such ease that it astounds me, and I am just as guilty as the rest. Here is where love comes in-- we fall and mess up every blessed day; yet God keeps us, loves us, sustains us and even goes so far as to provide for our needs and take care of us. This is the ultimate picture of love: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers (1 John 3:16). Love is sacrificial. Love is not about me. Love has nothing to do with my wants, needs, or desires. Love is about putting the other person first and looking out for their needs, encouraging them, and aiding in their joy. This doesn't come naturally and that is why we must rely so heavily on the Lord to keep this love flowing from us. God delights in loving us this way so why would we not stay plugged into that constant, life-giving love supply?

Love takes input and output: God's love pouring into us and as an overflow of His love we love others sacrificially. It is incredible to see this played out... especially in those moments where I know I have no ability or patience to truly love on my own I remember the Lord's love for me and I rejoice. As an outflow of that I am able to love others even when it is difficult. Really, how could I even think of loving others without first going to Christ? He should be the basis of everything and love is no exception. Is it really genuine if it is not centered around and reflected from Christ?

I am so in awe of the Lord just thinking of how perfect His love is for me, and how incredible it is that I get to be a part of this love process. God could have just saved us and walked away, but He didn't. He continues to love us and he gives us the chance to be a part of His great story by sharing His love with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment