Monday, December 12, 2011

My hope is built on nothing less

Discipleship, service, teaching, prophecy, encouragement. We all claim certain spiritual gifts as our strong point and it is a blessing to see the Lord work through those individual strengths, but what about when we don't feel it? Does it really count if we claim our "spiritual gift" only when it's easy to carry out and apply? What about those moments when we don't feel like encouraging? If we are only exercising that "gift" when it works for us then are we truly doing it for God's glory and by his power or are we doing it for our own satisfaction and gain? It is in this moment that our spiritual gifts are truly put to the test. Maybe I'm exhausted, crabby or frustrated but if I am called to encourage then doesn't that mean all the time, not just when I find it convenient?

I'm called to encourage because Jesus is in me and I have a hope to share with those around me, regardless of how I feel. I think that gives 2 Corinthians 12:9 an entirely new meaning. In my weakness He must shine through...that is why I fully rely on God and keep my eyes on him, the author and perfecter of my faith (Hebrews 12:2). Without him I falter. What an incredible blessing that despite my bad attitude, limits, exhaustion and lack of qualification God continues to love me and use me.

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus' name.

No comments:

Post a Comment