Sorry, I know you were thrilled to hear my advice on suitcase packing but I don't mean literally. My mom always says that whenever you go through circumstances in life you always add to your suitcase so that you have what you need later on down the road. Generally she means character traits and such, but I've learned some valuable life lessons the past few days that I will absolutely add to my suitcase for future references....
1. Don't Cuss With the Babysitter--
Ok, not literally. I don't generally make it a habit of cussing at babysitters...but I seriously considered it Wednesday night. I had the privilege of going with a friend as she went to pick her wee one up from the Church nursery. It was a lovely outing with good friends and precious babies when all of a sudden I rounded a corner and time seemed to stop...there before me, in all her denim, slothly glory was my babysitter from childhood. I loathed this woman, and had a very active fear of her. She demanded the utmost service and respect, even reverence, from us. We feared her. My mother always selected her to watch her young because she was "mature" and "responsible". By mature she meant old and crusty (and that was in the late 90's...) and by responsible she meant really boring. Now mind you this lady was no dainty lass... I have vivid memories of her ruling over us with an iron fist from her throne...er...recliner...Her scepter was conveniently in the form of a television remote control and there she would sit and rule her domain for hours, with the occasional interruption to tell us to shush or refill her drink. This image hit me hard as I beheld her there in her rocking chair, dominating the room. I'm almost (but not quite) ashamed to tell you that we intentionally tortured her (to the best of my 10 year old abilities). I can't tell you how many times we played pranks on her, did things to her food (ever tried mayo in milk? classic.), and tried to get her into trouble. I'd like to say the lesson here is don't be mean to your babysitter, you'll be mortified later on in life...but that just isn't my point. Lesson: if she caused that much trouble previously, then heck, just stay away...You better believe I high-tailed it away from that room mighty fast. See yuh.
2. Don't Mess With Homeless People--They're Tough Cookies--
It's true. I guess it makes sense if you think about it, but I'd never thought of it before. Yesterday at work I was hanging out behind the counter when a homeless man walked in and asked for food. My boss "greeted" him rudely and told him to leave. Instead of retreating the man started yelling and calling names. Clearly the man didn't know that my boss is in fact a raging Italian...my boss yelled back. There they stood in the middle of the Cafe nose to nose, screaming profanities at each other when all of a sudden the homeless man decked my boss. Before I knew it they were in an all out fist fight. Limbs were flailing, words were flying, and I was genuinely afraid. My boss had the upper hand and quickly pushed the man out the door. I had never seen a real up close and personal fight before and let me tell you, it was scary. The whole situation made me sad. All that man wanted was some food...I think it made God sad too. We didn't take care of his child yesterday. They later explained to me that in San Fransisco you have to be mean to homeless people or they cause trouble...but I don't think a little compassion could have hurt. Sure, we were ridiculously busy but would it really have hurt the flow so much to pause a moment from the food for 200 and feed one hungry man? We fed 250 people yesterday, but I don't think it counted because we sent that one man away hungry. Lesson: Be compassionate and don't ever overlook the "least of these". I think that often times they're the ones that count the most. Think about it...when I help feed 250 people I learn nothing but good chopping, correct temperatures, and recipes. When you fed one, hungry person you learn about compassion, love, and service. Don't let yourself get so caught up in your schedule that you overlook those that are near to the heart of God. They're just as important as you and me.
...but be careful about it, if you provoke them they'll getcha.
3.The Bundt Cake--
Eric the Mexican comes into the Cafe everyday and orders "bread with the egg". We're friends, we talk. He speaks about as much English as I do Spanish. He practices English on me. I teach him words. I practice Spanish on him. He laughs. When he came in this morning we talked as I prepared his bread with the egg. I asked him how you would say that in Spanish. I could've sworn he said "bundt & huevos". Now I knew the huevo part because my friends so lovingly called me that in high school (thanks guys.) but this whole bundt thing was new to me. The second he said the word "bundt" I started laughing and said "da bundt kek." I love that part in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and I thought it was pretty funny that was the spanish word for bread. Naturally Eric the Mexican thought I had flipped my lid...he just looked at me like I was crazy. When I was done laughing to myself I repeated it back to him and he laughed. I thought maybe he'd seen the movie so I laughed too...we laughed together for a while. Then he said "No Emily, it's pan. P-A-N." Awkward. Lesson: Don't assume Spanish people get Greek jokes. I don't think they do.
Well, that's all I've got today. I hope something you read here will one day be useful to you. If nothing else you now know to never babysit me, I'm a terror.
Oh, and I really like THIS SONG.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love that you put links to awesome pictures that describe your old babysitter...
ReplyDeletei'm so glad we're friends. seriously.
ReplyDeleteso, i'm a couple weeks late in reading this one. i'm so sorry that a trip to the nursery to get cb sent you into a childhood traumatic memory stress moment.
ReplyDeletealso, this reminds me why i hate dropping cb off in the nursery...
Don't worry, it totally wasn't CB's nursery worker, it was a different one that was in the hall.
ReplyDelete