Saturday, December 18, 2010

1:55 A.M.

Really, who blogs at 1:55 in the morning? Me, apparently. I have to. I've just had the most delicious bout of English major enthusiasm and it's quickly becoming clear that I won't be able to sleep until I release it. Lucky you, you've been chosen as my target.

Ok, my point. And prepare yourself, this is so English major/completely ridiculous.


Today I started reading the most wonderful book. I'm about to be embarrassed by this claim because it's so popular lately, but I started reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Holy cow.

Ok let me explain..I have this friend that keeps telling me I should write a book and every time he says this I casually laugh it off because I'm not good enough, don't have enough to say..you know, there's always a great slew of excuses. Well last time he mentioned it I actually allowed myself to consider it. So I've been considering it, but I keep coming back to the answer that my writing is odd...You just have to take my word for it, because other than this blog you've never read anything I've written before. But I really like to write. Like my heart gets happy, and I just feel delight. I'm not that great, but I sure do enjoy it. So yeah, I've been considering writing a book. So anyway, that said today I picked up Eat, Pray, Love (only because I really enjoyed the movie) and about a paragraph into it I kind of freaked out (obviously)....
...Gilbert writes like I do. Ok she's famous and fabulous and I'm absolutely not, but she writes like you're inside her head...and that's exactly how I write. And I got so excited because shoot, if she can do it then why can't I? Sure I don't have messy divorce stories or world travels to write about, but I keep a list of things I'm going to write.

So that's very much in my head, but there's a catch. Gilbert has perfected it. Her writing style and voice are so attractive, and I have to perfect that first. She writes in such a way that her words are so strongly connected that you absolutely have to continue reading--it's not an option to pause or skip a word for fear of breaking the mesmerizing rhythm she keeps. You don't dare miss a moment of what she's saying. Wow. I want to do that. How incredible would it be to posses the ability to take your thoughts, feelings, & aspirations and accurately transfer them onto paper in a way that inspired people and provoked thought? It's a gift, and Gilbert's nailed it.


Sorry, If you aren't an English major then I sound stark raving mad. But just humor me, mentally pat me on the head and move along. If for nothing else you now know me better because you know why I write...even at 2:17am.

3 comments:

  1. best friend status aside, I am always so excited to read your writing. It's charming and funny and touching and well thought out... your blog is such a pleasure to read :)

    now, as your best friend, It goes without saying that I am 100% behind you writing a book. if it gets published, I will buy a copy for myself, my parents, and every single one of my friends. duh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sign from God, EG. Write. A. Book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WRITE A BOOK. I bet if there were a sequel to "You've Got Mail" we would see Kathleen Kelly publish a book. And everyone wants to be like Kathleen Kelly, right? Go for it.

    ReplyDelete