"I scoff at adversity. Puh puh."
(you have to make the puh noise aloud in a convincing about to spit really German manner.)
I've found myself saying that a lot lately, and repeating it to others as well. I realized I'd only been repeating it because it's funny, and well hey it's an excuse to say "puh puh" in daily life. But then last night I got to thinking...I scoff at adversity.
Let's define. Adversity: misfortune, difficulties.
And you don't laugh at said adversity, run away from or ninja it. You scoff.
Let's define that too. Scoff: speak to someone or about something in a scornfully derisive or mocking way
Well, that's fine and dandy, we're mocking adversity. Cool. So then I had to ask myself why I was even bothering to have this conversation with myself. Well, self, it's because you CAN scoff at adversity.
When life happens we panic, get depressed, feel scared, stressed and overwhelmed (college anyone?) we have to work hard to hang on to the truth of who Christ is. We cling to Him, hopefully, but it's difficult because a) we're scared and b) admit it, we'd much rather be in control. That, my friend, is where the scoffing comes in.
When I say I'm scoffing at adversity this is what I'm saying...Hey adversity, my God is bigger, and He already won. Puh. puh.
Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.
Psalm 42:11
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.
Psalm 42:11

Thanks for this, friend. It was very encouraging. And made me laugh. :) I love you- and your mom.
ReplyDelete