Last Weekend...
Thursday I received a desperate call from a friend at about midnight informing me of a very uncomfortable bowel condition. Said friend asked me to go to the store and purchase a certain procedure for her to relieve afore mentioned discomfort. Awkward. I did as requested, assuring the man with the raised eyebrows at the register that the procedure was not for me, it was for a friend. Like he's never heard that before... Upon arriving at the friend's destination I inquired as to how friend was feeling. Dear, sweet friend responded with "Well EG, I'm full of...."
You get the idea.
Normally this would shocking coming from this particular friend, but considering the context and the fact that the statement was 100% true it was absolutely hilarious.
The package was delivered, it was one in the morning and we proceeded to watch The Suite Life of Zack and Cody and eat tuna fish sandwiches while we waited for the friend to "get better".
Summary of the night: "Just when I thought we couldn't get any closer..." It was ridiuclous, hilarious, and epic.
Saturday night I hung out with my friends Jake and Jon. Jake and I went and watched Jon's band play, and then the three of us went to eat and to pick up a projector at another college about 20 minutes away. This all went down a little before midnight. Getting to this college required driving down a very dark back road. We're talking really dark fields on both sides, and cows would be the main attraction. Ok, so you get the picture.
So we're driving, and I'm canoodling in the back seat with some light equipment, guitar cases, and a coupla microphones when Jon's car starts sputtering. Jake gives him the "this had better be a joke look" and Jon assures us that while yes, his gas gauge is in fact broken, he knows he still has 30 miles left.
False.
Jon's car runs out of gas, and there we sit on the side of the road in Raymond, Mississippi at midnight. In the dark. The car was in total silence for a few minutes until Jon started laughing. Jake and I did not laugh. They made a bunch of phone calls, and finally found someone to come pick us up. Thankfully, we were able to give them very specific landmarks such as "by the big pine tree" and "beside the wire fence". We sat there in the dark about 30 minutes until a buddy came, who of course only had room in his truck for Jon. So Jake and I sat on the side of the road for about an hour. Naturally, I had to pee. After we had been sitting there close to an hour, a truck passed us, stopped ahead, and slowly reversed until they were beside us. Said truck just sat there. They didn't say anything, and we couldn't see them. Taking my role as resident girl very seriously, I began freaking out. You know, because we were about to get kidnapped and shot. Eventually dude yelled to see if we were alright, and of course it ended up being one of Jake's friends from home, you know, who just happened to be in the middle of no where late at night. It was absurd, and confirmed my earlier theory that Jake, much like my grandmother, knows everyone. Jon finally made it back, put gas in the car, and apologized all the way back to Clinton. It wasn't funny until the next day.
This weekend was intense.
I was pumped about sleeping in on Friday after the terrible week it had been, so you can only imagine my disdain when the RA yanked my roommate and I out of bed Friday morning to the sound of yelling and tornado sirens. We all trundled down to the first floor to sit and wait in all our morning glory. None of us really knew what was going on, but the tornado sirens were going off. It wasn't a big deal, because we have tornadoes all the time and nothing ever happens. Shortly after thinking that the power went out, and considering the power never goes out, everyone got scared. We sat there in the dark about an hour until they told us we could leave. Jake and Seth came and picked up Christina and I, and we went to another city about 30 minutes away to eat and get away from the craziness. It was then we discovered that a tornado had touched down less than 1/2 a mile from campus. It had also touched down in two other places in Clinton, leaving some serious damage. The power was out everywhere, buildings had caved in, and a cars were crumpled up like balls of tin foil. Huge trees were down everywhere like it was no big deal, and everyone was frantic.
It was insane, and really scary. The guys spent the afternoon helping patch a mans roof, and Christina and I walked around talking to people. Everyone was really shaken up, and it was very much like being in a bad dream. No one was killed, which is absolutely a miracle. It is also amazing that MC suffered no damage. This video was filmed from right outside the Cafeteria at MC, and this video shows the tornado traveling down the road the passes in front of MC. Basically MC should not be standing.
Yesterday we went and helped clean up some neighborhoods. This is what we found:



Please be praying for the people affected so drastically by this storm, and let's hope for a more calm weekend to come.


No comments:
Post a Comment