Monday, June 7, 2010

Food for Thought: Chapter One

I had the most refreshing experience tonight while pumping gas at my friendly neighborhood Racetrack.

Yes, pumping gas. I was standing there twiddling my thumbs absent-mindedly as I fueled Edgar and it occurred to me that that moment was the most quiet, the most still, and to be quite honest the most restful I've had in a while. Sure, I "rest" sometimes but my rest always consists of a million thoughts running through my head or of me subconsciously making to do lists... I never just let myself be. I just stood there in the semi-darkness, birmingham quiet with elevator music going quietly in the background and I just felt restful.

I'm not crazy, i promise.

Really, think about it...when is the last time you were still?

Not physically still...
I mean mentally still.
Emotionally still.

When was the last time you just let yourself be.
I don't remember.
Tonight was refreshing. I felt rest. I felt quiet. I felt small. Whenever I let myself just be I always end up feeling small. It was quiet. It was so peaceful. It was dark outside. Darkness always makes me feel tiny because it completely envelopes me and I can't help but look up in search of stars. There they were...bright as ever. And when is the last time I noticed them? It's been a while. Stars are neglected. They're always there, but they don't get nearly the attention they should. Warning: Yes, I'm about to go all Sunday School on you. It made me think of God. I had my tender little star moment and I realized I do that to God. He's always there. Always. I can't always see Him, sometimes things cloud my view, but that doesn't change His consistency. It's just a matter of me stopping and making the conscious effort to marvel at His majesty and at His beauty.

That's all very elementary, and really quite simple but it was refreshing. I'm thankful for the simple reminders God gives us. I'm thankful that He loves me enough to point out his majesty will I'm tapping my toe at a gas station on a random summer night. That same God that made those stars made me and he delights in loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment