Tuesday, June 8, 2010

single shmingle.

I had a conversation tonight in which I was rebuked for being single. They asked how many dates I'd been on since I've been home from school and when I answered they gasped and said "Emily! This won't do! You need to put yourself out there and date around or you're never going to find Mr. Right!"

'preciate it.

After I hung up the phone I pointedly repeated the conversation to my mother who, being the nice mother that she is, told me that the right man for me is out there and not to worry about it and all that jazz...

I too believe this to be true so I brushed off the conversation and carried on. Well of course now that I've tucked myself in and am attempting to fall asleep the conversation has risen again to swirl around my head, keeping me from sleep.

I feel the need to explain my single-ness.

Yes, I'm aware that person will (probably) never read this...but just saying it, launching it into cyberspace kind of makes me feel like I've made myself clear, regardless of where it lands.


Don't worry, I'm not about to bare my soul on the internet.


First of all I do not think being single is something to be pitied. I think it's something to be proud of...sometimes being single isn't by choice, but it gives you a chance to grow in who you are. Right now, for me personally, I'm single because I know in my heart I'm not ready for a relationship. I still have a lot of growing to do in my relationship with God and who I am in Him. It's also because I've got high standards, and I don't plan on changing that. Sure I love my sappy chick-flick as well as the next girl (You've Got Mail...) and I also know that there's no such thing as "the perfect man" (also a chick flick) or Prince Charming (Cinderella anyone?)...Really the word perfect doesn't ever apply to dating. But I think the right guy for each girl is out there. Someone that's good enough for you, and someone that's a good fit and (dad gum it) there's nothing wrong with waiting around until someone meets your standards. I don't think God would give you those desires and longings in your heart and then let you be sorely disappointed...sure, it's silly to require a man that's a tall dark and handsome God-fearing, baby kissing, puppy loving, 6'2 greek god...but there's nothing wrong with having standards of what is and is not good enough for you personally. I'm not a snob, but some guys just aren't good enough...not that they're bad people, but they aren't the type of people I would want to grow with or form a life with. Sure he's nice and he says he loves Jesus...but he's a compulsive liar? No thank you, I'll wait. Plus I know myself and I know what compliments and clashes with me...there's method to the madness. Thankfully all of this is not in my hands. It's in God's. I have to remind myself of that because I certainly forget, but it doesn't change that it's truth. God puts those desires and needs in your heart, and He will satisfy and meet those needs in His timing by His plan.

So there you have it, cyber space. That's why I'm still single. If you have any questions I'll be right here waiting for the man that loves my Lord, was meant for me, and gives me butterflies.

2 comments: