It's Saturday afternoon, and it's raining, so naturally I'm on the couch watching Gilmore Girls. It's sappy...so of course it brings to mind the slew of love stories that are going on all around me.
Let's review, shall we?
May 22--a dear friend's wedding
May 23--my best friend from high school is engaged
May 27--dear friend from high school is engaged

So much happiness and it's completely contagious... but I can't help but think "when did I become old enough for all of this?" I feel so old, so grown up to be celebrating engagements with people my age, people near and dear to my heart. Yet at the same time I feel so young! I mean I am still a teenager for a few more months...When you're twenty years old it seems like you're stuck securely between being an adult and being a kid. You have qualities of both. Lots of big life decisions ahead of you, and the future is so unsure, yet you've also grown up so very much since high school and have already made so many decisions. I guess it comes down to this: When you're in college you make the foundational decisions about who you're going to be. You build character, you become comfortable in your skin and secure in who you are. In that sense you grow up. Then you start making the decisions of "where will I go?" "what will I do?" "how can i support myself?" "who am I going to do life with?" All of a sudden you're a "grown up". You may be on Chapter 37: What Class to Take Next Semester while your childhood bestie (yes, i said bestie. humor me.) is on Chapter 43: How to Pick the Perfect Wedding Dress. It really is true...age is just a number. Life happenings and situations change, but the heart of those you love remains the same. Those bonds, and the things in common may require adjustments...but the fact that you've done so much life together doesn't change. You will always have memories...and they inspire happy times to come.
All that goes to say, I suppose we're entering into a new, very unknown stage of life. But what a sweet sweet stage it is.

No comments:
Post a Comment